Texas Specification No. 485-14-01A
Effective Date: August 31, 1983
Reformatted: January 16, 1996
HAND CLEANER, WATERLESS -- CREAM PASTE
1. SCOPE: This specification establishes the minimum requirements for a hand cleaner containing emulsified solvents for grease, paint, and other water resistant soils.
2. APPLICABLE SPECIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS: References to specifications, standards and test methods shall be to the issues in effect on the date of the Invitation for Bids. Copies of the referenced documents may be obtained from the issuing organizations at the addresses shown. The following publications form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein:
2.1. AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM), 1916 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103:
2.1.1. ASTM D 500 - Standard Test Methods of Chemical analysis of Sulfonated and Sulfated Oils.
2.2. TEXAS SPECIFICATIONS, Texas Procurement and Support Services, P.O. Box 13186, Austin, TX 78711-3047:
2.2.1. Texas Specification No. 180-66-01 - Mineral Oil, Technical Grade.
2.2.2. Texas Specification No. 180-66-02 - Solvent, Nonaromatic, High-Boiling.
3. DEFINITIONS: Terminology used in this specification is intended to be generic in nature and consistent with meanings that have been defined through general use and/or accepted trade practices. Where variant meanings may exist, the applicable interpretation shall be determined by the Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
3.1. Commission: Texas Procurement and Support Services (TPASS).
4. REQUIREMENTS: Waterless hand cleaner furnished under this specification shall meet or exceed the following requirements:
4.1. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS: The product shall have a consistency resembling that of a typical cleansing or nourishing cream for cosmetic use, shall be off-white or pale cream in color, and shall contain no grit or other objectionable foreign matter.
4.2. Chemical Composition: The product shall be formulated from ingredients conforming to the cited Texas Specifications (where applicable), in the amounts ( ± 1.0 percent by weight) given in Table 1; Chemical Composition.
4.3. Test Requirements: The product shall conform to the requirements of Table 2; Test Requirements, when tested by the methods cited in Paragraph 6.
|Requirement||Percent by Weight||Texas Specification|
|1. Mineral oil||20.0||180-66-01|
|2. Solvent, nonaromatic, high-boiling||29.0||180-66-02|
|3. Emulsifier, oil-in-water||17.00||--|
Note: Optional small amounts of preservatives, perfumes, and emollients such as lanolin may also be present. Soft water constitutes the remainder of the formulation.
|1. Solvents volatile with steam, *pbw||45||49||6.1.1.|
|3. Emulsion stability (accelerated), Hours at 50 °C||16.00||--||6.1.3.|
*pbw: percent by weight
5. SAMPLES: Unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids, no prepurchase samples shall be required. Samples tested shall be taken from regular orders.
6. TESTING: Testing shall be done by or at the direction of, the Commission and/or the receiving State agency. Tests shall be performed on products from shipments to ordering agencies. In the event products tested fail to meet or exceed all conditions and requirements of this specification, the cost of the samples used and the cost of testing shall be borne by the supplier.
6.1. TESTS: The product furnished under this specification shall be tested by the following methods or approved equally applicable procedures:
6.1.1. Solvents Volatile with Steam: Using a sample weighting 8.0 ± 0.1 gram, determine by the procedure of ASTM D 500, Paragraphs 63 through 68, with the exception that no pine oil shall be added to the trap.
6.1.2. pH: Measure pH of the sample as is, by any convenient method.
6.1.3. Emulsion Stability: Keep a closed 1 pound container of the product in a laboratory over at 50 ± 2 °C for 16 hours, then remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Examine the contents for evidence of separation into distinct phases. In order to meet Paragraph 4.3., Item 3, the product must retain its original appearance and consistency.
7. INSPECTION: Products furnished under this specification shall be inspected by, or at the direction of the Commission and/or the ordering State agency either at the destination or place of manufacture.
8. PACKING / PACKAGING: Packing for shipment shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's standard practice and in a manner readily accepted by common carriers engaged in interstate commerce. Within the shipping carton, units shall be packed in a manner designed to minimize damage during the shipment because of rough or improper handling.
8.1. Container Size: The product shall be packaged in screw-capped plastic containers of one of the following sizes, whichever is specified in the Invitation for Bids.
8.1.1. One pound (1 lb.) containers, packed 12 to a case
8.1.2. Five pound (5 lb.) containers, packed 6 to a case
9. MARKING / LABELING:
9.1. MARKING: Each shipping container shall be clearly marked with the following:
9.1.1. Name of contents, including brand name, if any.
9.1.2. Quantity contained in pounds and/or kilograms.
9.1.3. Name and address of the manufacturer.
The following information shall either be marked on the container or appear on the shipping documents:
9.1.4. Order number or contract number.
9.1.5. Name and address of ordering agency.
9.1.6. Agency requisition number.
10. COMPLIANCE: In order for consideration to be given to the bid on an item under this specification, the bidder must comply with the following:
10.1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION: The make, model number, name of the manufacturer, brand or trade name, etc., as applicable, of the item which the vendor proposes to furnish must be stated as part of the bid.
10.2. EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding the above, any exception taken by the bidder to the requirements and conditions of this specification must be stated and described in detail as a part of the bid. If no exceptions or deviations are identified in this manner, the items must be furnished exactly as described herein.
10.3. PROOF: The bidder shall bear the burden of proof of compliance with this specification.
11. ORDERING DATA: When ordering products conforming to this specification the requisitioning agency shall specify the following:
11.1. The number of this specification ((485-14-01A).
11.2. The size of containers required (See Paragraph 8.1).
11.3. The total quantity required, in pounds (kilograms).
12. PRODUCT INFORMATION: Waterless hand cleaner conforming to this specification is an effective cleaning product for removing greasy or oily soil from the hands, whether water for washing is available or not. It contains emollients but no strong alkalis, and has a generally mild action on the skin.
13. AVAILABILITY OF SPECIFICATIONS: Copies of this specification may be obtained by calling or writing:
Texas Procurement and Support Services
Austin, TX 78711-3047