Answers to Your Questions
View our up-to-the-minute list of Franchise Tax Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Texas Franchise Tax Rates
The franchise tax rates are:
- 1.0% (.01) for most entities
- 0.5% (.005) for qualifying wholesalers and retailers*
- 0.575% for those entities with $10 million or less in Total Revenue (annualized per 12 month period on which the report is based) electing the E-Z Computation
*Qualification for 0.5% Tax Rate
Taxable Entities primarily engaged in retail or wholesale trades qualify to use the 0.5% tax rate.
Retail Trade: means the activities described in Division G of the 1987 Standard Industrial Classification Manual published by the federal Office of Management and Budget.
Wholesale Trade: means the activities described in Division F of the 1987 Standard Industrial Classification Manual published by the federal Office of Management and Budget.A taxable entity is primarily engaged in retail or wholesale trade only if:
- the total revenue from its activities in retail or wholesale trade is greater than the total revenue from its activities in trades other than the retail and wholesale trades;
- less than 50 percent of the total revenue from activities in retail or wholesale trade comes from the sale of products it produces or products produced by an entity that is part of an affiliated group to which the taxable entity also belongs (this does not apply to Eating & Drinking Places described in Major Group 58 of Division G); and
- the taxable entity does not provide retail or wholesale utilities, including telecommunications services, electricity or gas.