Texas Unclaimed Property only covers people with a Texas address. Other states have their own unclaimed property programs. You can search for property at individual states, or use a service like National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators (NAUPA) to locate property outside of Texas.

Other Types of Property

Not all kinds of property are turned over to a state's Unclaimed Property department. Some pensions, homeowner refunds, IIM accounts and U.S. savings bonds are all managed at the federal level. The U.S. Treasury oversees U.S. Savings Bonds, IRS refunds and any other kind of federal unclaimed property.

Some funds paid by local governments, such as juror checks and property tax refunds, may expire when not cashed. The payee must collect payment before the expiration date.

These funds are not sent to Texas Unclaimed Property — they are permanently returned to the government.

Check with your local county or district clerk, county tax assessor, or county treasurer to ensure there are no outstanding funds due to you.

Refer to Helpful Links for more places to look for unclaimed property.

Looking for documents to support your current claim?

Most estate documents, such as probated wills, Letters Testamentary or Administration or Guardianship, Muniments of Title, or filed Affidavits of Heirship are found with the County Clerk.

If we are requiring you to file a new Affidavit of Heirship, you should go to the county where the decedent legally resided.

A death certificate can be ordered from the Texas Bureau of Vital Statistics.