taxesProperty Tax Assistance

Educational Course Approval Frequently Asked Questions

Are educational courses pertaining to RPA or RTA certifications approved?

The Property Tax Assistance Division (PTAD) is required to approve all certification courses required for property tax professionals registered with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). Please see the list of approved certification courses and the expiration date of approval on the Comptroller's website.

How is an educational course approved?

Please refer to the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, Property Tax Assistance Division, Educational Course Approval Program Guidelines, complete the Form 50-783, Educational Course - Approval Request and the Checklist for Submission of Educational Course for Approval Review. Course approval requests and materials must be submitted to PTAD 90 days in advance of delivery date.

Can educational courses cover any topic?

Educational courses must deal with one of the following topics: 1) appraisal standards and methodology; 2) tax assessment and collection practices; 3) ethics; 4) laws and rules; or 5) Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP).

Can I take certification courses for continuing education (CE) credit?

Yes. The list of approved certification courses includes the number of CE credits approved for each.

Can I get credit for taking a course from the IAAO, TAF or AI?

Yes. Under Property Tax Code Section 5.05, the Comptroller's office may approve publications relating to the appraisal of property and the administration of taxes, "including materials published by The Appraisal Foundation (TAF), the International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO), or other professionally recognized organizations, for use in the administration of property taxes." PTAD approved all courses offered by or through TAF, IAAO and the Appraisal Institute (AI) for CE credit for the number of CE hours assigned by TAF, IAAO or AI, as applicable.

Do end-of-course exams count for CE credits?

No. CE is earned for course work only. CEs will be granted for taking the class, regardless of whether the examination is taken, passed or failed.

Can I get CE credit for taking a review course for a level exam?

Review courses must be submitted for CE approval by the program provider

What happened to the previously offered electives?

PTAD approves only educational courses required for certification purposes under TDLR rules. Other non-certification courses, however, may be submitted for approval as CE programs.

What do I do if I want to have a course added to the certification requirements for one of the TDLR certifications?

You may contact TDLR at with your request. Certification requirements are part of TDLR's rules and PTAD does not have authority over them.

Can I get CE credit for professional development programs?

Professional development programs do not qualify for CE credit.

Are students required to complete evaluations of instructors at the end of educational courses?

Yes. Educational course sponsors are required to request students complete Form 50-799, Instructor Observation and Evaluation Form and return them to PTAD at P.O. Box 13528, Austin, Texas 78711-3528. In the absence of a sponsor, the instructor is responsible for returning the forms.

If you have additional questions, please contact us at or by phone at 800-252-9121 and ask to speak to Shannon Murphy.