The following programs are supported by the Federal Government and are available at almost any accredited college or university. These programs are administered by the OFFICE OF FINANCIAL AID at the college, and you should apply directly to that office. Eligibility for Federal Student Aid Programs is based on financial need (except for Direct Unsubsidized and Direct PLUS loans and the TEACH Grant).

NOTE: As of the date of printing, these programs have been updated. However, changes can be anticipated for the upcoming academic year.

There are three types of Federal Financial Aid available - but, you must first apply to be eligible. Begin by completing the FAFSA form (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online at: or by contacting your school counselor.


  • GRANTS are financial aid that students don't have to repay.
  • LOANS are borrowed money that students must repay with interest.
  • WORK-STUDY lets students work and earn money to help pay for school.

Undergraduates may receive all three types of financial aid. Not all schools participate in the Federal Student Aid Programs or take part in all the programs. To find out which programs (if any) are available, contact the financial aid office at the school you plan to attend.


You cannot receive Federal Student Aid unless all your information is complete and accurate. Get free help from your high school counselor, the financial aid office at the school you plan to attend, or the U.S. Department of Education at or 1-800-433-3243. Free help is available any time during the application process. You should never pay for help.

The fastest way to complete your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is online at A paper FAFSA is available from the Federal Student Aid Information Center (800-433-3243), from your local library, high school, college or career school; or it can be downloaded at or ordered at Whether you apply online or by paper, your data will be sent electronically to the schools you listed on your FAFSA.

Contact the financial aid officer at the school you are interested in attending and ask if you should also fill out any state financial aid forms in addition to the FAFSA. They will review your SAR and prepare a letter outlining the amount of aid (from all sources) that their school will be able to offer you.

The U.S. Department of Education will send your Student Aid Report (SAR) - the result of your FAFSA. Review your SAR carefully to make sure it is correct and complete. Your complete, correct SAR will contain your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) - the number used to determine your federal student aid eligibility. If additional information is requested, be sure to respond by any deadlines or you might not receive federal aid.

If you are eligible for federal student financial aid, each school will send you an award letter. The award letter tells you the types of financial aid they will offer and how much you will receive. This combination of aid is your financial aid package.

Copyright © 2017-2018 by Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation. All Rights Reserved.