The National Institute of Governmental Purchasing (NIGP) Commodity Book has been prepared for the use of bidders, vendors, and state agency personnel.
- Agencies use the class-item numbering and descriptions found in this book to properly code products or services on their requisitions and purchases, so informal and formal invitations for bid will reach vendors that have indicated they are capable of furnishing the required materials, equipment, supplies, and services.
- Bidders are encouraged to become familiar with the format and contents of this book as they apply to the Centralized Master Bidders List search and vendor profiling. It is extremely important to both agencies and potential bidders that bidder class-item selections are correct.
Note to Bidders: please do not select classes or items for which you CANNOT do business. If you are unable to bid or provide goods/services upon award, you may be removed from the Centralized Master Bidders List (CMBL).
Code Support and Access
Vendors registering with the State of Texas CMBL that need help identifying class and item codes that are applicable to your company, should email the CMBL Help Desk or call 512-463-3459.
State agencies or Texas Smartbuy Members may access the NIGP Living Code through the annual site license obtained by SPD. Each agency is allowed one free agency account with the capability to set-up multiple users. If you anticipate having multiple users logged in at the same time on a regular basis, you may want to purchase additional seats from NIGP. The accessing features of the Living Code include:
- Real-time access to correct State of Texas commodity or service class and items
- Standardization of generally accepted specifications
- Support for inventory management and procurement planning and management
To set up your entity's living code access or to set up new commodity codes for government entity use, please email the NIGP coordinator or call 512-463-3459.