The Texas Comptroller's office serves the state by collecting more than 60 separate taxes, fees and assessments, including local sales taxes collected on behalf of more than 1,400 cities, counties and other local governments around the state.

News and Announcements

Notice of Extension of Public Comment Period on Proposed Rule 3.334, Local Sales and Use Tax

We have received numerous requests for a 60-day extension of the public comment period on proposed Rule 3.334. Comptroller Hegar is honoring these requests and grants an additional 60 days from Feb. 3, 2020, to provide written comments on proposed Rule 3.334. Written comments are due April 3, 2020, giving a full 90-day comment period.

Tax Responsibilities for Animal Rescue Groups v. Animal Shelters

Animal rescue groups and nonprofit animal shelters have different sales tax responsibilities. An animal rescue group is generally required to collect sales tax on any sales and animal adoption fees, while the Texas Tax Code specifically exempts nonprofit animal shelters from collecting sales tax on their animal adoption fees. As a friendly reminder, all animal rescue groups must apply for a sales and use tax permit and collect sales tax. Learn more.

Out of State Sellers: Register Now!

Remote sellers are required to begin sales and use tax collections on Oct. 1, 2019. You should:

Once registered, you will receive sales and use tax report forms and other important information.

Tax Policy News

The January 2020 issue of Tax Policy News is now available. You can also read previous issues of our online newsletter on this website.