Glenn Hegar
Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
Glenn Hegar
Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
Skip navigation
Glenn Hegar
Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
Skip navigation
Top navigation skipped


Hotel Occupancy Tax FAQs

Where is the monthly and quarterly hotel receipts data previously found on the Comptroller's Hotel Data Search page?

The Hotel Data Search page was removed from the Comptroller website in accordance with Senate Bill 1086 (PDF), passed during the 85th legislative session. This bill prohibits state agencies from posting hotel receipts information from a business on a public website. Users are still permitted to request the data by submitting an open records request.

Who has to collect hotel taxes?

A hotel's owner, operator or manager must collect hotel taxes from their guests. For the purposes of the state tax, a hotel is considered to be any building in which members of the public rent sleeping accommodations for $15 or more per day. Local hotel taxes apply to sleeping rooms costing $2 or more per day.

The tax covers hotels, motels, and bed and breakfasts, as well as condominiums, apartments and houses rented for less than 30 consecutive days. Hotel tax does not apply to hospitals, sanitariums, nursing homes, student dormitories operated by colleges and universities, or condominiums, apartments and houses leased for more than 30 consecutive days.

What is the hotel tax rate?

The state hotel tax rate is 6 percent.

Cities and some counties and special purpose districts can each levy local hotel taxes, generally at rates varying up to 7 percent; sports and community venue projects can levy hotel taxes at rates varying up to 2 percent, except for Dallas County which can impose a hotel venue tax at a rate of up to 3 percent.

For example, in Houston there is 6 percent state tax, 7 percent Houston tax, 2 percent Harris County tax and 2 percent Harris County - Houston Sports Authority tax.

What government agency handles hotel taxes?

The Comptroller's office collects and administers the 6 percent state hotel tax, while cities and counties are responsible for collecting their own local hotel taxes.

Can I use a hotel’s existing taxpayer number if I buy a hotel?

There are various factors that affect the answer to this question, so please call our Hotel Occupancy tax help line toll-free at 800-252-1385 to discuss your situation with a tax specialist.

How do I apply for a hotel tax permit?

While the Comptroller's office does not issue printed hotel tax permits, businesses that report the tax should send a completed Form AP-102, Hotel Occupancy Tax Questionnaire (PDF) to the Comptroller's local field office.

Owners and operators should contact the county and city where their hotel is located for more information about collecting and reporting local hotel taxes.

Is there hotel tax on meeting or banquet rooms?

The 6 percent state hotel tax applies to any room or space in a hotel, including meeting and banquet rooms. Local hotel taxes, however, are due only on those rooms ordinarily used for sleeping.

There are no state or local hotel taxes on meeting and banquet rooms located in a building where no sleeping accommodations are provided.

Who is exempt from paying state and local hotel taxes?
  • The U.S. government and its employees traveling on official business.
  • Foreign diplomats issued a tax exemption card by the U.S. Department of State, unless the card specifically excludes hotel tax.
  • Certain Texas state officials with special hotel tax exemption cards (includes heads of state agencies, members of state boards and commissions, judicial officials at the district court level and above, state legislators and legislative employees).
  • Permanent residents who occupy a room for at least 30 consecutive days. Any interruption in the term of occupancy will void the exemption.
    • Guests who stay 30 or more days and notify the hotel in writing of their intention beforehand are exempt from the day of notification.
    • Guests who do not notify the hotel must pay the tax the first 30 days and are exempt thereafter.
  • Some nonprofit entities and their employees traveling on official business.
    • The entity must have received a hotel tax exemption letter from the Comptroller's office.
    • The reason for the exemption must be written on the exemption certificate. For example, "exempt per Electric Cooperative Act, Utilities Code, Chapter 161" or "exempt per Telephone Cooperative Act, Utilities Code, Chapter 162."
Who is exempt from paying only the state hotel tax?

Religious, charitable and educational organizations that have received a letter of exemption from the Comptroller's office are exempt from the 6 percent state hotel tax. The exemption extends to their employees traveling on official business, but does not apply to any local hotel taxes, which must be paid.

  • Exempt religious organizations include nonprofit churches and their guiding or governing bodies, but do not include missionary organizations, Bible study groups or churches made up only of family members.
  • Charitable organizations include nonprofit organizations whose sole purpose is to provide food, clothing, drugs, treatment or shelter directly to indigent and needy persons. Not included are 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporations, social groups, professional or business groups, fraternal organizations, or similar organizations.
  • Educational organizations include independent school districts, public and private elementary and secondary schools, and Texas institutions of higher education (public and private colleges, universities, junior colleges, and community colleges). Not included are research organizations, home schools and organizations that mainly provide support services to schools. Effective October 1, 2003, non-Texas institutions of higher education no longer qualify for exemption.
How can my organization apply for a hotel tax exemption?

To apply for exemption, qualifying religious, charitable and educational organizations must complete and submit the appropriate application and supporting documentation. If an organization qualifies for the exemption, the Comptroller's office will send instructions on how to get an exemption verification letter. For additional information on exemptions, please refer to Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemptions.

Why do some hotels collect tax after a permanent resident gives written notice?

A hotel is liable for tax if a guest fails to stay for 30 consecutive days. In this case, a hotel may prefer to collect tax and then later give the guest a refund or credit.

Does an exempt organization have to pay the hotel directly or can the guest pay?

The payment method of an exempt organization’s employee does not affect the exemption. Non-employees of an exempt organization, however, must pay the hotel with the organization's funds (organization check, credit card or direct billing).

Are third-party contractors working for the federal government exempt?

No, third-party contractors completing contracts for the government or using federal grant money are not exempt and must pay state and local hotel taxes.

Are Texas state agencies and their employees exempt from hotel taxes?

No, state agencies (except Texas institutions of higher education) and their employees (except certain state officials described above) must pay state and local hotel taxes. State employees traveling on official state business can request a reimbursement of the state and local hotel taxes on their travel vouchers.

Are local government agencies and their employees exempt from hotel taxes?

No, county and city agencies and their employees must pay state and local hotel taxes, and cannot request refunds of taxes paid.

How does a hotel guest claim an exemption?

An exempt organization or its employee must give the hotel a completed Form 12-302, Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF), and proof that the organization has received a letter of hotel tax exemption from the Comptroller's office at the time of registration. Organizations that have received hotel tax exemption can be found by using the Comptroller's Tax-Exempt Entity Search.

What do hotels need to verify an exemption?

Hotels can accept exemption certificates in good faith when the guest provides the following supporting documentation:

  • federal employees traveling on government business - a valid government identification card;
  • designated Texas state employees - a special hotel tax exemption photo ID or card that states the holder is exempt from hotel taxes;
  • foreign diplomats - a tax exemption card issued by the U.S. Department of State that exempts the diplomat or mission, unless the card specifically excludes hotel tax;
  • employees and representatives of a specific nonprofit entity or a nonprofit charitable, educational or religious organization traveling on organization business - a Comptroller's letter of hotel tax exemption or verification that the organization is on the Comptroller's list of exempted entities, such as a printed copy of the Comptroller's Tax-Exempt Entity Search showing the organization is exempt for hotel tax.
Do entities have to report their hotel occupancy tax information?

Yes, starting in 2018 municipalities must report their local HOT information to the Comptroller every year. The reporting period opens on Jan. 1st and closes Feb 20th. Please review the Municipal Hotel Occupancy Tax Reporting webpage for more information.

Need Additional Help?