Refunds for Overpaying Insurance Tax

If total prepayments exceed the net premium tax due as reported on an original annual tax return, the Comptroller's office will automatically refund the overpayment to the taxpayer unless the taxpayer notifies us in writing to apply the overpayment to another period.

To file an amended report that results in a refund of taxes, you must provide the following information:

  • the taxpayer name and number;
  • the amount of refund requested;
  • the year in which the tax was paid;
  • a signed letter stating in detail the reason for the refund claim;
  • a signed amended tax return;
  • for unauthorized and independently procured refund requests, a copy of the declarations page indicating the return premiums; and
  • Form 01-137, Power of Attorney (PDF), or other written authorization if the taxpayer is represented by an authorized agent.

To submit an original report that results in a refund, the above documentation is not required.

Send tax refund requests to:

Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
111 E. 17th Street
Austin, TX 78774-0100

For additional Insurance Tax refund information, call toll-free 1-800-531-5441, ext. 34276.