Proposed changes to Form 50-296A (PDF), Application for Appraised Value Limitation on Qualified Property, Form 50-826 (PDF), Texas Economic Development Act Agreement and Form 50-825 (PDF), Job Creation Compliance Report were published in the Texas Register on August 28, 2020.
A few key changes are highlighted here:
- To move toward paperless submissions, proposed Form 50-296A removes the requirement to submit a hard copy. As a part of this transition to only electronic submissions, §9.1053 is also modified accordingly. Specifically, the amendment to §9.1053 updates the language in subsection (a)(2) by incorporating the requirements in paragraphs (A) and (B) to submit a completed application and supporting documents but in an electronic format. In doing so, subsections (a)(2)(A) and (B) are no longer necessary and are, therefore, deleted.
- The proposed change to Form 50-826, Texas Economic Development Act Agreement, corrects a typographical error in Section 9.4A whereby the phrase "Section 7.2" is replaced with "Section 7.1." Another proposed change updates the date in the footer of every page.
- A few changes are proposed to Form 50-825, Job Creation Compliance Report, which is a pdf form on the comptroller's website. These changes include: the year in the title of the form; new instructions to clarify who should complete the form and what qualifying job information should be reported if a report was submitted in the previous year; the form submission deadline; an update to the "Report Prepared by" question whereby both the preparer's name and the company's name are required; a new field requesting the preparer's phone and email address for any inquiries.
A thirty-day public comment period follows, ending September 27, 2020. Comments on the proposed rules may be submitted to John Villarreal, Manager, Data Analysis and Transparency Division, Comptroller of Public Accounts, at John.Villarreal@cpa.texas.gov or at P.O. Box 13528, Austin, Texas 78711. Comments must be received no later than 30 days from the date of publication of the proposal in the Texas Register.
- Form 50-826 Texas Economic Development Act Agreement (2020) (PDF)
To be used by the applicant and school district as a template for a value limitation agreement. The school district submits a draft agreement to the Comptroller for review and approval. Applies to agreements executed on or after February 6, 2020.
Chapter 313 reporting requirements apply to each agreement, and forms must be submitted to the Comptroller’s office on an annual and biennial basis. In the next data collection cycle ― Summer 2020 ― agreement holders (Forms 50-773A/50-773B Biennial Progress Report Form) and school districts (Forms 50-827A/50-827B Biennial School District Cost Data Request) will be asked to submit their biennial forms in support of the biennial Report of the Texas Economic Development Act. Two versions of each type of form are in use; one collects information on “three-digit projects” while the other collects “four-digit project” data.
All companies with agreements executed before June 1, 2020, will be required to submit annual and biennial reporting forms (Form 50-772A Annual Eligibility Report and Biennial Progress Report Form) in the next data collection year.
Please monitor this website and any announcements via email for updates on forms and deadlines.
The Comptroller's office has a new permanent deadline for the Job Creation Compliance Report (Form 50-825). In the first year that agreement holders are committed to creating new, qualified jobs for their projects, they now must submit Form 50-825 by Aug. 15 (or the next business day thereafter, if this date is on a weekend or holiday).
- Form 50-772A Annual Eligibility Report (PDF)
This form is to be filled out by agreement holders and submitted by an authorized representative of each company to the school district by June 15 (or the next business day thereafter if this date is on a weekend or holiday), using information from the previous tax (calendar) year (2018). School districts should review the submitted forms, retain the original and submit PDF scans of the completed and signed forms, and any attachments, to the Comptroller's office by Aug. 15. Email a scan of the signed form in PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org (updated May 1, 2019).
- Form 50-825 Job Creation Compliance Report (PDF)
This form is to be filled out by agreement holders and submitted annually by an authorized representative of each company directly to the Comptroller's office. This requirement only applies to agreements resulting from applications determined to be complete after Jan. 1, 2014. An agreement holder completes the report only if the company is required to create jobs in the year covered by the report, according to Schedule C of the agreement holder's application. For example, if an applicant indicates on Schedule C that the company will begin creating qualified jobs in 2018, then it will need to file a report in 2019. The Comptroller's office requests that companies complete this form, submitting both an electronic version with the excel spreadsheet and a signed hard-copy version to the Comptroller by Aug. 15, 2019. (updated May 1, 2019).
Excel version of Form 50-825 (XLS)
- Signed pdf via email to email@example.com
- Mail a hard copy of the form to:
Data Analysis and Transparency Division
Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
P.O. Box 13528 Capitol Station
Austin TX 78711-3528
- Forms 50-773A (XLSX) and 50-773B (XLSX) - Biennial Progress Report Form (2020)
To be filled out by agreement holders and submitted by an authorized representative of each company to the school district by June 15 each even-numbered year. The school districts must forward the form to the Comptroller's office by August 15. Form 50-773A collects information for projects with applications deemed complete prior to January 1, 2014 ("three-digit projects"), and Form 50-773B collects information for projects with applications deemed complete after that date ("four-digit projects"). The forms are now electronic-only spreadsheets. Hard copy paper Forms 50-773A or 50-773B are no longer accepted. School districts use data from these forms to complete the "CDR" form they are required to submit to the Comptroller's office (see below). The Comptroller's office has updated Form 50-773A and Form 50-773B per TAC, Sec. 9.1052(d). Updated forms are structurally the same as those used in Collection Year 2018. Dates and years in labels and instructions have been updated for this 2020 data collection.
- Form 50-827A (XLSX) and Form 50-827B (XLSX) Biennial School District Cost Data Request ("CDR") (2020)
To be filled out and submitted by school districts to the Comptroller's office by August 15 each even-number year. In 2018 new versions of the Form 50-827 were adopted for three-digit projects and four-digit projects. School districts complete Form 50-827A or Form 50-827B, as applicable. The forms are now electronic-only spreadsheets. Hard-copy paper Forms 50-827A or 50-827B are no longer accepted. The Comptroller's office has updated Form 50-827A and Form 50-827B per TAC, Sec. 9.1052(d). Updated forms are structurally the same as those used in Collection Year 2018. . Dates and years in labels and instructions have been updated for this 2020 data collection.
This information should not be construed as, and is not a substitute for, legal advice.
Property owners and school districts are urged to consult the Attorney General's Economic Development Handbook and their own legal counsel for any questions or interpretations of economic development laws.