Fraud and Consumer Alerts
Payments Over the Phone
For the convenience of Texas taxpayers, the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (CPA) will begin processing payments over the telephone using credit cards and debit transactions. CPA urges you to be on the lookout for unexpected scam phone calls from anyone claiming to be collecting on behalf of our office.
Stay vigilant against scams
A caller from the Comptroller’s office will always:
- Introduce himself or herself as a Comptroller’s office employee.
- Be able to verify specific details on prior notices or historical account information.
- Offer multiple ways for you to make a payment.
- Explain the fees that are involved if you choose to pay by credit card.
- Encourage you to call the telephone number on your account statement or on our website if you have any questions about the process.
A caller from the Comptroller’s office will never:
- Threaten to bring in local police, immigration officers or other law-enforcement to have you arrested for not paying.
- Pressure you to make a payment by credit card or electronic check only.
If you are unsure that the person calling you is from the Comptroller’s office, please hang up and call the number on our account statement or on our website.