aboutDisaster Relief

Disaster Relief Information

This page provides information for taxpayers who have been impacted by recent disasters in Texas. We have included links to disaster declarations issued by the Governor and information regarding tax relief for taxpayers in affected counties, if available. Events are listed in order of occurrence with most recent events listed first.

Recent Disasters in Texas

Tropical Storm Beta

In response to Governor Abbott’s disaster declaration regarding Tropical Storm Beta, taxpayers in the following counties affected by widespread flooding, storm surge and damaging winds are eligible for an automatic penalty waiver for state taxes due Sept. 21, if the taxes are paid within 30 days of the original due date; and an automatic 30-day extension of time to file and pay any state taxes that will be due on Sept. 25 and Sept. 30: Aransas, Bee, Bexar, Brazoria, Calhoun, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Hardin, Harris, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, Liberty, Live Oak, Matagorda, Nueces, Orange, Refugio, Sabine, San Augustine, San Patricio, Shelby, Travis, Victoria and Wharton.

Taxpayers are not required to request a penalty waiver or an extension of time to file and pay taxes that have been automatically waived or extended.

If you need further assistance, please contact our office at 800-252-5555.

Hurricane Hanna and Hurricane Laura

In response to Governor Abbott’s disaster declarations regarding Hurricane Hanna and Hurricane Laura, taxpayers in the declared counties that are affected by severe weather and flooding may be eligible (by request only) for an extension of time to file and pay taxes due.

Request an Extension

Taxpayers affected by the severe weather may be eligible for an extension of time to file and pay taxes due. Extensions are available upon request only and will be granted by the Comptroller’s office in 30-day increments. If you are unable to file and pay within 30 days, you may request additional extensions (up to 90 days total).

Please provide the following information to ExtensionRequests@cpa.texas.gov to request an extension to file and pay your taxes:

  • Taxpayer Name
  • Taxpayer Number
  • Tax Type(s) for which the extension is requested
  • Affected filing period(s)
  • Name and phone # of the person making the request

Please contact our office at 800-252-5555 if you need assistance.