As a kid, I've always wanted to be a meteorologist because weather has affected my whole family in many different ways. My Grandma was sucked out of her car into a tornado. Recently, my house was hit by lightning.
A meteorologist must earn a bachelor's degree, with at least 24 semester hours of meteorology courses. I love math and science, but to be a successful meteorologist, you need to know them very well, and be good at them.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U. S. Department of Labor, in 2008, there were 9,400 people employed as Atmospheric scientists. In addition, there are many more individuals employed in college and university departments of meteorology or atmospheric science, physics, earth science, or geophysics. In the future, the number of atmospheric scientist jobs is expected to remain about the same as the present levels of employment.
About 34 percent of atmospheric scientists are employed by the Federal Government. Most of these work in the National Weather Service offices throughout the country. The other 66 percent work at colleges or work as broadcast meteorologists for local TV stations across the nation.
I was fortunate to be invited by a local meteorologist to visit his TV station and watch the entire newscast and weather segment live. On this particular weather cast, the meteorologist entered fourteen different screens with weather data. He showed me how to use the green screen and a clicker to display the weather graphics used during the weather cast. I saw they use a lot of technology in order to produce a good weather cast.
My mother and father have inspired me to become a meteorologist and I love them. This is why I want to become a meteorologist.
Alex's essay appears here as written, to preserve the young author’s unique voice and individual writing style. However, we have deleted personally identifiable information to protect the student’s privacy.
In 2015, the Texas Legislature passed House Bill 855, which requires state agencies to publish a list of the three most commonly used Web browsers on their websites. The Texas Comptroller’s most commonly used Web browsers are Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Apple Safari.