Glenn Hegar
Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
Glenn Hegar
Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
Skip navigation
Glenn Hegar
Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
Skip navigation
Top navigation skipped


Open RecordsFrequently Asked Questions

How do I submit a request?

The preferred option is our FYI Open Records Tool, where you can make requests and track the progress online.

FYI Open Records Tool

Other options are:

By email:


By mail:

Open Records Section
Comptroller of Public Accounts
P.O. Box 13528
Austin, Texas 78711-3528

In person:

Open Records Section
111 East 17th Street
LBJ State Office Bldg., Rm. 210
Austin, Texas 78701

If you need special accommodation pursuant to the Americans With Disabilities Act, please contact our Workplace Accommodations Coordinator at 512-475-3560.

Do I need to use special language to submit a request?

No special language is required. Include enough description and detail about the information to enable us to accurately identify and locate the information requested.

If you are requesting information about a specific taxpayer, please include the taxpayer’s name and taxpayer number.

We may contact you to clarify the type or amount of information requested.

How long will it take to receive my information?

The turnaround time depends on a number of factors, such as our current workload, the complexity of your request, etc.

If we are unable to respond within 10 business days, we will let you know when we expect the information will be ready.

What is a "business day" under the Public Information Act?

Most deadlines in the Public Information Act (PIA) are expressed in business days. A business day will generally include a weekday (Monday through Friday) but does not include national, state and any other designated holidays. Non-business days for purposes of the PIA are accounted for in our FYI tool to ensure that deadlines are properly calculated. Access the list of national and state holidays.

Will you charge me for information?

Most information is provided to requestors at no charge. There may be a charge for requests that require substantial personnel time or programming.

We will notify you if your request will incur charges, and you can accept or decline the estimated charges before the work is performed.

Will you answer my questions and do research for me?

The Public Information Act does not require a governmental body to answer questions or perform research. Questions and requests for research should not be submitted as public information requests.

What other government entities' records are available through the Comptroller's office?

The Comptroller’s office maintains the records of certain other governmental entities, which have been abolished or dissolved. To submit a request for records of these entities, please indicate which agency you are asking about. For most of these entities, we maintain only employment records.

These entities are:

  • Advisory Council on Intergovernmental Relations
  • Aransas County Conservation and Reclamation District
  • Bowie Memorial Hospital
  • Criminal Justice Policy Council
  • Goliad Hospital
  • Lake LBJ MUD
  • Prosecutor Council
  • Rebecca Creek Municipal Utility District
  • Sesquicentennial Committee
  • Shiner Hospital
  • State Property Tax Board
  • Telecommunications Infrastructure Fund Board
  • Texas Building and Procurement Commission
  • Texas Coastal and Marine Council
  • Texas Growth Fund
  • Texas Growth Fund II
  • Texas Health Facilities Commission
  • Texas Incentive and Productivity Commission
  • Texas Indian Commission
  • Texas Merit System Council
  • Texas National Research Laboratory Commission
  • Texas Residential Construction Commission
  • Treasury

About the FYI Open Records Request Tool

Why should I use the FYI tool to submit a request?

Submitting requests using FYI allows you to monitor the status of your request and receive information from us safely and securely. However, you may continue to submit requests by email, fax, mail or in person if you prefer.

How do I submit a request through the FYI tool?

Go to the FYI tool and follow the instructions to set up a free account.

You can use this account to submit and track requests. Just follow the instructions on the FYI screens.

Does the FYI tool allow me to upload documents with my request?

Yes. However, you can upload documents only when initially creating your request. You can upload the following types of documents:

  • PDF
  • Microsoft Word
  • Microsoft Excel (.xlsx or .csv)

Uploaded files may not exceed 5MB.

How will I know when my request is completed?

You will receive an email notification from the FYI tool when your request is complete.

How will I know when my request needs clarification by me?

Add the following email address to your email contacts:

If we need clarification, an email to you will be generated from the above email address. Click on the Enter Clarification button, log in to FYI, and respond to our request for clarification.

What web browsers are compatible with FYI?

You may use:

  • Chrome
  • Firefox
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Safari

Microsoft Internet Explorer is not compatible with FYI.

I have forgotten my FYI password. How do I reset it?

If you forget your FYI password, you can access the password reset function from the FYI login screen. From the login screen, select Need help signing in?.

Password reset link is at the bottom of the screen.

If you are still having trouble accessing your account, click on the question mark in the upper right-hand corner of the FYI site to access the Help menu and submit a ticket to FYI's help desk.