programs Education


Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation
1250 NE Interstate 410 Loop # 810, San Antonio, TX 78209
(210) 525-8494

The following programs are supported by the Federal Government and are
available at almost any accredited college or university.  These programs
are administered by the OFFICE OF FINANCIAL AID at the college, and you 
should apply directly to that office.  Eligibility for most Federal Student
Aid Programs is based on financial need.

NOTE:  Due to the coronavirus pandemic, updates to federal aid programs may
       occur throughout the upcoming academic year.  It is recommended that
       that students verify information by referencing websites.

    There are three types of Federal Financial Aid available - but, you
    must first apply to be eligible.  Begin early by completing the FAFSA
    form (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online, as soon as 
    possible after October 1, at: or contact your school counselor


   GRANTS are financial aid that students don't have to repay.
   LOANS are borrowed money that students must repay with interest.
   WORK-STUDY lets students work and earn money to help pay for school.

Undergraduates may receive all three types of financial aid.  Not all
schools participate in the Federal Student Aid Programs or take part in
all the programs.  To find out which programs (if any) are available,
contact the financial aid office at the school you plan to attend.

Completing your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will
generate a Student Aid Report (SAR), which is a result of information 
provided in your FAFSA application.  The U.S. Department of Education will
send you your SAR, which you should review carefully to make sure it is 
correct and complete.  Your complete and correct SAR will contain your 
Expected Family Contribution (EFC) - the number used to determine your 
federal student aid eligibility.  If additional information is requested, 
be sure to respond by any deadlines or you might not receive federal aid.

You cannot receive Federal Student Aid unless all your information is
complete and accurate.  Get free help from your high school counselor,
the financial aid office at the school you plan to attend, or the U.S.
Department of Education at or call 1-800-433-3243.  Free
help is available any time during the application process. You should
never be asked to pay for help.

The fastest way to complete your FAFSA is online. Paper FAFSA forms are 
available from your local library, high school, college or career school; or by 
calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800)433-3243.  It can
be completed online or downloaded at  
Whether you apply online or by paper, your data will be sent electronically to 
the schools you listed on your FAFSA.

Contact the financial aid officer at the school you are interested in 
attending and ask if you also should fill out any state financial aid forms
in addition to the FAFSA.  They will review your SAR and prepare a letter 
outlining the amount of aid (from all sources) that their school will be 
able to offer you.

If you are eligible for federal student financial aid, each school will send you 
an award letter.  The award letter tells you the types of financial aid they 
will offer and how much you will receive.  This combination of aid is your 
financial aid package. 


If your or your family's financial situation has changed significantly from what
is reflected on your federal income tax return (for example, if you've lost a 
job or otherwise experience a drop in income), you may be eligible to have your
financial aid adjusted.  Compete the FAFSA questions as instructed on the
application (including the transfer of tax return and income information), 
submit your FAFSA form, then contact the school you plan to attend to discuss 
how your current financial situation has changed.  Note that the school's 
decision is final and cannot be appealed to the U.S. Department of Education.  

The U.S. Department of Education (ED) office of Federal Student Aid has been
actively monitoring the coronavirus/COVID-19 situation.  On August 6, 2021, the 
U.S. Department of Education announced a final extension of the Cares Act with
regards to the pause on student loan repayment, interest, and collections until 
January 31, 2022. The Department believes this additional time and a definitive 
end date will allow borrowers to plan for the resumption of payments and reduce 
the risk of delinquency and defaults after restart. The Department will also 
continue its work to transition borrowers smoothly back into repayment, by 
improving student loan servicing. Borrowers can get the answers to their COVID 
related questions by visiting the website:

NOTE:  You do not have to pay to get 0% interest or suspended payments for your 
student loans.  Some companies may charge a fee for repayment help for federal
student loans during the pandemic.  These companies are not affiliated with or
endorsed by the U.S. Department of Education (ED)in any way.  Learn more about
avoiding student loan scams. The Federal Trade Commission has a free educational 
website, to help people avoid scams, manage your money, use credit 
and loans carefully, and protect your personal information.

Copyright © 2022 - 2023 by Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation. All Rights Reserved.