The purpose of the Texas Armed Services Scholarship Program is to encourage students to become members of the Texas Army National Guard, the Texas Air National Guard, the Texas State Guard, the United States Coast Guard, or the United States Merchant Marine, or to become commissioned officers in any branch of the armed services of the United States.
To receive the scholarship, the student must meet two of the four following academic criteria:
- Has graduated or is on track to graduate high school with the Distinguished Achievement Program;
- High School GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- College readiness score on SAT of 1070 or ACT of 23;
- Ranked in the top one-third of senior class.
Additional eligibility requirements:
- Be registered with the Selective Service or be exempt
- Be appointed by a state representative or state senator or by the Governor or Lieutenant Governor (Each member of the Legislature may make one appointment; the Governor and Lt. Governor may each appoint two students).
- Enroll in an eligible Texas institution and an eligible ROTC program
- Agree to complete four years of ROTC training
- Graduate no later than six years after enrollment date, and enter into a four-year commitment with the Guard Service or contract to serve as a commissioned officer in any branch of the armed services
- Meet the satisfactory academic requirements set by the institution
- Agree to repay the scholarship if the requirements are not met
For more information, call the Lt. Governor's office at 512-463-0001 or 512-463-1828; or view website www.hhloans.com. To contact legislator, visit WHO REPRESENTS ME at https://wrm.capitol.texas.gov/home